Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Letter to a Son

Almost a year ago, I wrote a letter to your sister. I was hoping to make you a letter as soon as possible but wasn't able to.

I really don't know where to begin but let me start by telling you I love you and I am so blessed to have you, your mom and your sister in my life.

You see, son, I have waited more than five years for you. During those years I knew God was preparing me to become a good father.

I never knew my father the way I would have wanted to. He was mostly away, working overseas for the family. I used to resent him for not being there as I was growing up. But when I learned that he was an orphan, I understood why he did what he did.

Healing took time. In my case it took five years. Five years to be confident that I can be a good father. Five years to tame the anger and indifference. Five years to learn how to live fully and love unconditionally.

Son, I will make sure to spend as much time as I can with you. I will teach you things I should have learned when I was young. Things such as:

• the roles of every man as king, warrior, mentor and friend and how to balance these roles
• the Source of strength and wisdom
• the cool head, warm heart approach
• taming dragons, slaying giants
• living adventures, choosing battles, finding the one to fight for
• listening to the Wild Goose
• finding joy in every situation
• and most importantly, how to glorify God in everything you are and everything you do


Son, don't let the list overwhelm you. Make the most important item be the main thing. It won’t be easy but I will be there to teach you and eventually, to cheer you on once your path has been revealed. Your path may not be the path I want for you but by faith I would say it would be God's path. It might hurt because I love you but God loves you more and I know He will be faithful to you as He has been to me.

Son, I have made lots of mistakes in my life. Unfortunately, I being your dad does not guarantee that you or your sister will not make the same mistakes. But when you do, I can and I will get you out! Remember that every mistake comes with a lesson. Every challenge brings with it the grace to overcome.

Son, only a life lived for a worthy cause is worth living. Make sure your cause is God's cause. But let me tell you a secret: the worthiness of the cause is not measure by the worldly glory it brings. Sometimes it could be interceding for others, paving the way for others, service, etc. the key is to allow God to use you. Do not be overwhelmed or be afraid, God looks at the heart.

Son, we live in a broken world and until we are in heaven, we will carry the feeling of being homesick. Don’t get too attached to this world. Glorify God in the present but always maintain an eternal perspective of things.
Son, fight for your heart. Fight for your mom and for your sister. Fight for the heart of every person God will entrust to you. Don’t let your guard down for the enemy comes like a thief... to kill... to destroy.

Son, wisdom begins in reverence of God. Ask for this wisdom, not worldly wisdom.

Son, if you ever feel the need to have the last word, let it be "I’m sorry". If you ever need to have a time management technique, use mine: glorify God in every moment. If you need motivation: work for God not men. Read your bible, you get into few troubles. Be sure of your calling, when in doubt, pray!

Son, as much as I want to be the perfect dad, I too will have my own shortcomings. I can try but I can only do so much. Let me tell you that you also have a Father in heaven. One who loves you much much more than I ever can. He will not abandon you, though it may seem so at times. Son, in those times that you feel so alone, those are the times that He personally takes care of your needs.

Son, I love you. You can forget about everything I wrote except two things: God loves you, I love you.

Live well, my son. Love much and laugh often.

04.09.2007

1 comment:

Brennan said...

"tame dragons and slay giants."
- very well said.