Monday, May 01, 2006

Grief...

Last Friday morning, I lost a dear friend. He was like a younger brother to me. Cardiac arrest at age 23.

I learned of his death by text message. I first met the news with disbelief. Minutes later, more text messages came in, coming from different people. It was only then that I realized it was all true.

I first met him around three years ago. He was a tall, thin guy. Months later, I got a chance to be one of his coaches. It was through this coaching relationship that I began to see the wonderful heart that God placed on his chest. Beneath the happy-go-lucky appearance, there was a young man who had a strong sense of love and duty to his family and friends. There was a creative spirit awaiting to be set free from fear. In the ninety days, he grew from a self-conscious young man to a confident leader.

I would always remember the last day of our coaching relationship. He thank me for all the support I have given him to attain his goal. Little did he know that he had also helped me. I believe that he helped me more than I have helped him. He made me believe that I can make a difference.

I have had many opportunities to work with him. At times, we were peers, at times he was my leader, at times he was the follower. Most of the time, we were just volunteers trying to make a difference. He was a very dependable guy. He was the person who be there first and the last one to leave. He was a silent leader.

In the three years I have known him, he has grown so much. I can even say that he has lived a fuller life than most of the people his age. He was a good son to his parents, a good brother to his three sisters.

A lot of things can be said about how he has made a difference in the lives of others whom he has served and loved.

The past few days have been very difficult, knowing that there won't be opportunities where we can just hang out and talk and laugh with him.

But God is very kind. Yesterday, I was reminded of His word, "God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." (Hebrews 6:10 NIV).

My dear brother, our God is a rewarder. He will not forget how you have served and love His people. Rest is His arms. Receive your reward. We will miss you.

Till we meet in our Father's house...

No comments: