Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 5: The flight of a lifetime...

I have been on airplane flights many times and have memorized the preflight orientation by heart. One of the instructions that took me a while to digest was putting on your own oxygen mask first before helping the elderly and children

Unspeakable selfishness… I thought at first

Having put in more thought into it, I began to see the reason: I am no good if I'm unconscious.

I was brought up by my parents to think about others first, even my Jesuit teachers taught me to be 'a man for others'. But that can be carried to the extreme, becoming 'selfless' to the point of neglecting myself.

I used to be a workaholic, solving one problem after another, trying to 'make a difference' until I had my first burnout

Trust me, burnout is not fun.

I then realized that to be able to do more, I must keep myself in the best condition, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I may have to say 'no' to many things to be able to say 'yes' to bigger things.

Like the airline oxygen mask, I find myself refreshed whenever I 'breathe in' the Word of God.

Do you have your oxygen masks on?

Note: This post is about my reflections on what I read from the book. It is not a summary on the book contents.

No comments: