Monday, July 05, 2010

Day 16: Identity theft


Identity theft is a major concern and people have taken steps to protect themselves from becoming victims. Yet many do not know that there is another form of identity theft that is not obvious: Spiritual Identity Theft.
I remember watching The Lion King many years ago. In the story, the main character, Simba, is the heir to the throne of his father, Mufasa. Simba's uncle, Scar, wants the throne for himself and plotted to kill Mufasa and get rid of Simba. Scar deceived Simba to believe that he caused his own father's death. This resulted to Simba running away and Scar becoming the king.
I remember, as a child, I had nurtured a big dream. It was so big and I believed that I can only realize it if God will help me. A few years later, I gave up on that dream because I have been told lies about myself, about my identity.
In the six years that I have been coaching people, the identity lies can be categorized into three:
  • 'I am bad.'
  • 'I am too (fat, thin, etc.) or I am not (smart, beautiful, etc.)
  • 'I am unloved.'
It was only when I discovered the Truth about who I am, that I began to find myself working towards my God-dream again.
I am very careful now of my identity because the Bible warns, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;"(John 10:10).
By holding on to the Truth, I will finish this race.

No comments: