Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Day 19: Stillness...

Transformers... more than meets the eye!

When I was a kid, I was so fascinated with the Transformers. How in the world can a car transform into a robot?

And then there were the superheroes. All wimps but put in a costume, they become very courageous and end up saving the day.

Secretly, I hoped to be like them... to be able to transform and help make the world a better place.

But then, something happened... I grew up! Along the way, I learned to conform to the world and became a regular guy. Going from one task to another, filling my days with activity so as not to be idle. I kept on chasing the next big thing, if only to try to satisfy the spiritual emptiness I felt.

Eventually, I stopped chasing. The stillness was deafening, the slow pace was maddening. The stillness marked the beginning of a series of wilderness experiences and looking back, I know that the stillness has allowed my heart to be at rest. The experiences taught me to let go and let God.

I am reminded of a caterpillar. When it is ready, it spins itself a cocoon and in the stillness that follows, it undergoes metamorphosis and turn into a butterfly.

I believe that God planted seeds of greatness in our hearts. The world has taught us to kill the seeds, the very seeds that carry the reasons for our existence.

It is only in confronting the stillness that the seeds can grow. Only in the stillness that we can be taught to become who we are meant to be as God intended. At the right time, like caterpillars, we spin our cocoons and wait on God in the stillness.

How do we know that it's the time? When we want to fly so much that we are willing to let go being a caterpillar!

No comments: